The Institute of English and American Studies at the University of Oldenburg, Germany, invites applications for the three-year position of a Research Fellow in English / Anglophone Literatures commencing on June 1, 2018 or as soon as possible thereafter. The working hours comprise 25.87 hours a week and the salary is based on the German public service pay scale 13 TV-L (annual base salary currently ranging from EUR 28,641 to EUR 36,781 plus allowances).
- Academic and administrative duties in the "Fiction Meets Science" research program (www.fictionmeetsscience.org), particularly in the field of "The Anglophone Science Novel and the Global Dimensions of Science".
- Research for the project "Transcultural Mobility of Scientists and Science in the Contemporary Anglophone Science Novel".
- Completion of a Ph.D. dissertation within the period of employment. The results of the project-related research may be used as part of the Ph.D. thesis.
- Master's degree or equivalent Diploma in the field of English / Anglophone Literatures with an above average grade
- demonstrated familiarity with established and current approaches in literary and cultural theory (including specifically discourse theory and postcolonial theory)
- near-native command of English
- a sketch of ideas for a Ph.D. project, relating to "Transcultural Mobility of Scientists and Science in the Contemporary Anglophone Science Novel", to be developed into a thesis as part of the employment
Preference will be given to applicants with the following additional qualifications:
- research interests matching existing research profiles in Oldenburg Anglophone Literary Studies
- demonstrated familiarity with historical and interdisciplinary perspectives on Anglophone literatures
- familiarity with research and approaches in Literature and Science Studies and in (Postcolonial) Science and Technology Studies
- experience doing project work
- experience organising academic workshops or conferences
- a working knowledge of German
The University of Oldenburg is an equal opportunities employer. According to § 21 para. 3 of the Legislation Governing Higher Education in Lower Saxony (NHG) preference shall be given to female candidates in cases of equal qualification. The same applies to persons with disabilities.
The deadline for applications is April 11, 2018. Applications must include a CV, copies of degree certificates, an academic writing sample (maximum of 20 pages), a sketch of ideas for a Ph.D. project, as well as - if applicable - a list of publications and courses taught. Applications should include the keyword "WM-FMS2" in the reference line and should be submitted by e-mail in a single pdf-file to firstname.lastname@example.org(maximum size 40 MB). Alternatively, applications may be sent by post to Carl von Ossietzky Universität Oldenburg, Fakultät III, Institut für Anglistik und Amerikanistik, Prof. Dr. Anton Kirchhofer, 26111 Oldenburg.
Please note that applications materials will not be returned to applicants. Please do not submit any original documents or file-folders.
Questions regarding this position may be addressed to Prof. Dr. Anton Kirchhofer (email@example.com).
For the legally binding German version of this advertisement, please see http://uni-ol.de/stellen/65936