Thank you for your interest in the BSLS. The cost of membership is £25. Reduced membership, costing £10, is available to postgraduates and others not in full-time employment.
If you encounter any problems with any of the payment methods below, please contact the Treasurer, Dr Michael Whitworth (Michael.firstname.lastname@example.org)
You can join BSLS or renew your membership in three ways:
- Online. Please pay via PayPal by clicking on one of the buttons below. Please note that memberships received in this way cost £1 extra because of charges we incur. If the PayPal account you are using is not in your name, please also email Michael Whitworth with your details.
- By cheque. Please make cheques payable to the British Society for Literature and Science and send to Dr Michael Whitworth (BSLS Treasurer), Merton College, Oxford University, Merton Street, Oxford, OX1 4JD. Please enclose a statement, with your cheque, that you are eligible for reduced rate membership if you are a postgraduate or otherwise not in full-time employment. Please include your email address if you would like acknowledgement of receipt of your cheque.
- By standing order. If you renew in this way, your membership will roll over automatically each year. Please contact the Treasurer if you would like to establish a standing order.
Important: when you pay, please also email your details to our Membership Secretary, Emily Alder, to ensure you receive the full benefits. Please include:
- your prefix/title; first name; last name;
- university/institutional affiliation;
- mailing address;
- and a 30-word summary of your key research interests. (This summary will be viewable by other members but, rather than listing publications, should inform as to your central areas of focus).
- Please also confirm whether you would like to review publications relevant to your research, for the BSLS website.
Please note that renewal of membership takes place in April of each year, to align with the BSLS Conference, and runs to the end of the following April, not a year after the date you joined. Memberships purchased after 1st Jan will run to the end of April of the following year.
You can join by using PayPal or a credit/debit card by submitting payment through the link below. Please note that, because of charges we incur through this form of payment, it costs £1 extra to join or renew in this way. When in PayPal please enter your name in 'Special instructions to the seller' so we can identify from whom the payment comes.
Use this button to pay the full membership fee (£26):
Use this button to pay the reduced membership fee (£11):
If you're unsure whether your payment has processed, please email the Treasurer, Dr Michael Whitworth (and not our ex-Treasurer Dan Cordle, whose name is hard-wired into the PayPal account).
April 2019: in the past few months some members have received a PayPal message to the effect "this account has already been paid" when if fact no money has changed hands and the account has not been paid; we have reinstalled the buttons (2/4/2019), but please do email Michael if you are not sure whether your payment has gone through.
Please contact the Treasurer if you wish to establish a standing order, for details of our sort code, account number, and how to identify the payment as yours.